formerly "The View From Up Here"

Formerly titled "The View From Up Here" this column began in the Liberty Gazette June 26, 2007.

To get your copy of "Ely Air Lines: Select Stories from 10 Years of a Weekly Column" volumes 1 and 2, visit our website at https://www.paperairplanepublishing.com/ely-air-lines/

Be sure to read your weekly Liberty Gazette newspaper, free to Liberty area residents!


April 12, 2022 Flying with Katalin

The Liberty Gazette
April 12, 2022
Ely Air Lines
By Mike Ely and Linda Street-Ely

Katalin Watkins will never forget what she did to celebrate turning 14. The student pilot took to the skies alone in a Schweitzer 2-33 glider the moment she was legal to fly solo. Since her 13th birthday, Katalin put considerable effort into studying and practicing, flying with an instructor she trusts and admires. Finally, a year later, her hard work paid off. 

“In the days leading up to my first solo flight, I didn’t have any nerves, so I thought I’d be fine. The week before, three days before, I felt confident. But the night before I planned to rise early, to do this all
by myself, I started to wonder. What could go wrong? What am I not thinking of? My nerves got a little workout that night, but in the morning, when I climbed into the glider behind my tow pilot, Bob, I knew I was ready. I could do this. I had prepped constantly and flew often. I was excited, and I was confident.”

What’s it like to command a flying machine at 14? Katalin says, “The glider is so light without my instructor that it handles differently than when he is with me. I have to be lighter on the controls and remember that a little movement goes a long way. On the tow, the glider wants to go upward. That can be dangerous if I let it get higher than the tow plane, because while we are attached by the rope (just to get me to altitude), if I let my glider rise above the tow plane, I could pull its tail up, causing my tow pilot to lose control. You have to remember that while being towed, you’re not completely independent. Bob and I work well together. He is supportive and encouraging.”

One of the things Katalin loves most about flying gliders is the peace and quiet – “solitary and exhilarating.” She has flown in her mom’s Piper Cub and other powered aircraft many times, but for her, nothing beats a peaceful flight in a motorless aircraft. “Sometimes you see the birds flying around too. And it’s so interesting that you’re being held on air, with nothing below you, nothing holding you up. It’s incredible, the engineering, that you don’t just drop like a stone.”

Katalin has soared in the thermals of South Florida, been ridge soaring in Colorado, and a combination of ridges and thermals over Hawaii where “the color of the sea is amazing and viewing wave crests from above is incredible.” This summer, she’ll go to ballooning camp, where she hopes to experience hot air ballooning. Someday, she wants to have at least a private pilot certificate in airplanes and gliders.

Katalin’s advice to youths: “If you have interest, don’t get worried about what you have to learn, like air pressure differentials and stuff. Just try it and see if you like it. Get an instructor you can have a good rapport with and try it out. The experience is truly incredible.”

ElyAirLines.blogspot.com 

Katalin with instructor, Tommy Augustsson, 
and tow pilot, Bob Youngblood

Katalin's solo shirt tail being cut off
















Katalin with solo shirt tail

No comments:

Post a Comment